View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
A little distilled water should get that right out JC, according to some of our members. Or if it takes some bleach but a good conservator/card doctor can mask it, well what the hell as long as a TPG blesses it I'm good.
Ok, lets say that in 20 years it looks like this

Which approach has served the hobby better? Allowing it to degrade? Or doing some conservation?

Either approach can be considered valid. One preserves the card for longer than the other. The other keeps it "original".

What if TPG found a way to accommodate conservation so that it was mentioned?

I get that any conservation work would change the grade under todays standards. And that a higher number = more money. And that doing that work and getting that money without disclosure is leaning heavily towards the dishonest side of things. And I don't think that's the way to do things either.

But I also don't think that having ongoing damage stabilized is a horrible thing.

I view most other alterations the way most of us probably do. Trimming, crease removal, rebuilding corners, all things that really shouldn't be done, or if done shouldn't be given a grade as an original card would be. (although for some stuff they're accepted as long as there's disclosure)

Steve B