View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 05:08 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Great to give thought to

First up is my Great Aunt Lena - she had no children or husband - just about every week on Saturday's she would drive from her home in Manhattan where she lived with my great grandmother ( she would come as well). Take my brother and I out to lunch and from the time I started collecting (around 11 years old) would take us to the Incredible Pulp in Baldwin NY and give me few bucks to purchase first comic books and later baseball cards.

Next up is mom - after begging and pleading for longer than I care to remember she shelled out $48 for my Clemente rookie card ( a sum she thought completely insane for a " piece of cardboard". She also continued to support my collecting both verbally and financially despite " not getting it" simply because she saw how much joy I got from it. Also patiently listened to many stories I'm sure she was not very interested in about this card or that.

Next up my brother Myles - he tried to get into collecting first comic books, then baseball cards as he knew each week we were going to the Incredible Pulp when my aunt came. As kids he would sometimes accompany me to shows he had less interest in. For about 12 years when we were older he would drive out and help me at the Robert Morris shows as a table holder even though he had very little interest in the hobby. Those drives were incredible bonding times and some of the best conversations we've ever had.

So many in the hobby have had a positive influence Larry Deleo ( owner of the original incredible pulp), Bob Lemke, Levi Bleam, Mike Mosier, Jim Cszesnakowski, Brian Slusser, Paul Kutch, Rich Butkowski, John Rumierez, Chuck Tomasco, Steve Radcliffe, the people who have and continue to run some amazing shows.

So many here at net 54- what fun would it be if there wasn't someplace to share my hobby victories, defeats, opinions and knowledge as well as have an opportunity to learn SO MUCH from others.