View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Bob M

Default Help identifying Hearst US Allstar jersey to player (1958?)

Thanks in advance for any expert advice, suggestions or opinions regarding the red jersey below.

I recently acquired a Dodge-Davis manufactured US All Stars flannel jersey (red flannel shown below with tackle-twill lettering) and believe it may have been worn during one of the annual Hearst Sandlot Classic US All Star games played after 1956 through the mid '60s in New York City (US All Stars vs NY All Stars).

The blue heavy flannel (shown below with felt lettering) was definitely worn during the 1956 game and was also made by Dodge-Davis. There are no year tags on either jersey. A few images on the web indicate the US All Star jersey styles changed each year during 1956-1960. One 1958 image (poor quality/low pixels/couldn't enlarge it without it being blurry) depicts Mgr. Oscar Vitt (on left) wearing what could be the same style as the red one shown below (no piping along collar, light shade of b&w lettering and top of cap might indicate red instead of blue color).

I cannot locate any images of games beyond 1960. Images from the '56 and '58 games appear to be only years between '56 & '60 the US team jersey did not have collar piping with the type of lettering (in jerseys shown below).
__________________________________________________ _________

Any additional images from a Hearst All Star game matching the style of the red jersey could be helpful solving the mystery. ***Also, a 1958 roster indicating the players' uniform numbers could be most helpful. The red jersey has # 9 on back.

Thanks for the help.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hearst56.jpg (78.1 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg Hearst58.jpg (79.5 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg OscarVitt1958.jpg (10.1 KB, 403 views)

Last edited by Bobmc; 12-20-2016 at 02:04 PM.