View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
1) "Whether something is a type 1 photo is an opinion. It is not a fact."
This blanket statement is WRONG Imo I, in fact, think photos are one of the things in the hobby that can be authenticated the tightest.
2)”If any of you are 100% sure looking at scans that something isna Type 1 photograph, well more power to you. “
THIS IS A SCENAREO ONLINE-diff than above. There is no way to tell 100 percent online I would agree. You can make educated conclusions but with fake stamps, fake aging of paper,,etc.. I would agree. Pictures can also be photo shopped or manipulated. this of course domes not go fir photo authentication in general.. just online.

If you think the photo hobby is so misguided.. why are you collecting the stuff? Why not collect something else that is more defined like.. cards, game used and autographs... yikes

I just don't get the negativity. Since you have singled out Henry.. can you give an example in the last auction where he was wrong or that he abused some magical power for his benefit? As stated, No one bats 100 percent.. but some have much higher averages
I can't point a single thing Henry has done wrong in his life. Never said I could. But I don't think the basic idea of him grading his own cards for sale is a good one. I think many others agree.

I think Type 1 is an opinion. Whatever. Until someone does carbon 12 testing on a photograph it's an opinion in my book. maybe a very learned opinion.

Negative on the hobby? Nope. Just a realist. It's an imperfect endeavor like everything else. I'm not drinking the kool aid that anyone's opinion on authenticity of a photo or a card is scientitifc truth. It's an opinion. If Henry doesn't make the occasional mistake he's the first human being in the history of the world who can say that. I tip my hat to him.

I once sat through a trial where probably the two most credentialed experts in the US took opposite sides on whether a signature was authentic on a rare document. Two guys who have written books too. These are opinions.

Ben, you get insanely defensive anytime anyone says anything even remotely challenging or questioning about type 1 photos. Relax buddy. It's a hobby. We're not rescuing starving children here or curing rare cancers.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-22-2017 at 05:17 PM.