View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Default Better Bidding Practice on Huggins & Scott Auction

Posted By: barrysloate

Joann and Matt- all good points, and part of the decision may simply be how the software is designed. If I can start the 5% at any level I want, I'm thinking $500-1000 would make most sense. At $200, for example, I don't think it matters whether you have to go $10 or $20 higher. Hopefully, anyone participating in the auction has an extra $10 to spend.

Of course, this could go both ways. Someone might bid $5000 on a lot and be done. With the next bid at $5500, that might scare away all other bidders. But with a chance to bid $5250, someone might get in that last bid. So it is entirely unclear whether smaller increments hurt or help the bidder. I guess if you are high bidder and at your max it will be a disadvantage; but if someone else is high and you wish to top that bid, it will help.

But I completely agree the smaller increments will be met favorably, so I plan to make some change for my January auction. Thanks to all, and feel free to add more feedback.

And I commend myself for staying out of the Clinton/taxes debate. I'm learning to exhibit self control.

Edited to add Scott was posting when I was, and I thank you for the support.