View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

I don't know if there's an actual line in terms of what type of employment he can hold, but in regards to who gets to choose, it's the employer. In this case the 30 MLB teams, who are clearly saying they don't want to sign him because they don't want that construed as them supporting a heinous crime. That is well within their rights. Kudos to someone for actually taking a stand on character over talent IMO. People complain that athletes and celebrities are held to different standards and don't have to face consequences, but then when someone actually tries to hold an athlete accountable people complain that so-and-so did X and nothing happened so why punish poor Luke? It seems like contradicting philosophies.

I think a lot of people tend to ignore that the victim may never have closure, regardless of what punishment Heimlich is subjected to. That girl may never feel better about what happened. If he ended up in the World Series and was on every TV in the nation, how would that make her feel? Obviously I don't know with any certainty that it would negatively impact her rehabilitation, maybe she's come to terms with it and would be just fine, but I think that's something teams should consider as well. Not solely think about Luke Heimlich, but the situation as a whole.

I guess bottom line, teams have every right to employ or not employ someone if they don't want the baggage that comes with the person. And I don't think that's exclusive to baseball, that's just the reason it's being discussed by strangers on the internet. Because sports, and movies and celebrities are so important to us. Society always wants to discuss those in the public eye. I believe if Heimlich were hired by my place of employment there would be the same debates, they just wouldn't be on a forum such as this.