View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

Donnie, you might be right about that. When I was trying to pick a second-baseman, I wanted to go with Jackie Robinson, but I of course have never seen him play, and I wasn't sure what his postseason performance was. I chose my team based soley on my own gut feel about the players, with one exception: I wanted to put Scott Rolen at 3B because I remember being scared to death when Houston had to face him in the playoffs; however, I also remembered some choking. So I looked up his stats and dropped him in favor of Brooks Robinson, who I remembered making some jaw-dropping plays during the World Series. I chose Williams because of his performance in the last game of his .406 year. Not sure why I chose DiMaggio - just gut feel.

But you remind me that I forgot Cano, which amazes me, given that I collect Cano memorabilia and I don't particularly like Joe Morgan. My only problem with Cano is that he doesn't hustle, and in a life-or-death game, you need hustle - no one could accuse Morgan of laziness. Same for Jackie Robinson.

Eric - computer simulation would not work. What makes this thread concept so fantastic (to me, anyway) is that so much of the choice-making is based on intangibles. Overall Post-season stats might be terrible for a player, but during the most critical moments they might be incredibly good. Curt Schilling had a terrible first game in the World Series, but he was lights-out on a bloody foot when he absolutely had to be.

Great, great topic.

Edited to add: another player that Phil would wrist-slap me for adding is Dave Henderson. But anyone watching playoff games in the mid-80's will remember that, despite his mediocre playoff stats, he did some stuff. His jumps at the left-field wall were sensational as well.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-10-2015 at 11:46 AM.