View Single Post
Old 02-18-2024, 10:26 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Hey, I have spent waaaaaaaaay too much time over the years studying the 1962 Topps set, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that the 1962 Topps Green Tint - Wally Moon (NO HAT-graded) is a phantom card. It's simply his regular non-Green Tint that PSA mislabeled. They did label a few that way, so the slabs do exist, but they are nothing more than mislabeled cards. The pop report is rife with problems regarding all of the cards with pose changes. PSA was really lost early on with their 1962 checklist.

For instance (this is off the top of my head, but you can check the pop report to see all of the errors):

1. They graded a #159 Hal Reniff with 'Green Tint' on the label, which is completely wrong. The only greenie of Reniff is his wrongly numbered #139 card, which shows him pitching, and not as a portrait. All of his #159 cards are the regular versions.

2. Like the Moon, they have #174 Carl Willey with four different versions - with and without a cap in both regular and Green Tint form. Even though they labeled them as such, there is no such thing as a Carl Willey No Cap-Green Tint.

3. I believe early on the #132 Angels Team with the inset photos wasn't labeled as a Green Tint, even though they all are. So, there are probably 3 or 4 versions of that card in the pop, too.

Edited to add: I just checked and they also wrongly labeled a #139 Reniff portrait as a greenie. No such thing exists. All portraits, regardless of the number on back, are the regular versions.
THANK YOU Jolly - Ive struggled with and debated this card for a full decade. The lack of numbers always seemed like a real problem to me. At this point, Im frustrated by the entire green tint set.