View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Default HOFER'S Who Don't Belong

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

I tend to agree with many of your statements. Here are some of my picks, without looking at a list of every enshrinee:

Mazeroski
Haines
Dean
Doerr (although he would be first in a HOF for "Nice Guys")
Rizzuto
Gossage
Marquard
The 17 Negro Leaguers elected a couple of years ago--STOP IT!

And, on the flip side, what about my favorite non-HOFer Will White? Look at his stats. Yes, I realize how few pitchers were retained by teams in those days, but, come on! Also, not that it matters, but I believe he was also the first bespectacled ballplayer.

Add to this Gil Hodges and Billy Martin. What's with electing Southworth ahead of them? I once saw a Southworth single-signed ball fail to meet its $49.99 reserve on eBay a few years ago. 3X5s and cut signatures weren't even fetching $20 prior to his induction. Despite my always having a soft spot for the Cards, it really burns me up that this man was enshrined before the two aforementioned managers.

And yes, there should be an "Ambassador" category added, its sole member being Buck O'Neil.

Edited to add: We suppose Mr. O'Doul has his place amongst the Ambassadors as well. There are others, but it's too late and we're too tired.

"We are not amused."
--The Victoria Group,
Great Britain's Toughest Monarch(s)