View Single Post
Old 01-29-2005, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Default Ty Cobb/Bushing/SCDA/Game-Used Decal Bat

Posted By: Anonymous

Just joined and read the interesting posts about the Bat. Since I am a bat collector and have a very substantial collection I would like to offer some feedback in regards to the decal bat.

The bat had a grade of A5 and sold for 37K, that seems very reasonable. An A5 bat does exhibit some negative characteristics, if the bat was 100% and/or had provenance it would have graded A10. An A10 Cobb bat sold for a record 132K in one of Hunt's Auctions last year. SCD also graded that one. Bushing is the foremost bat authenticator in the hobby. I don't think he would have time to answer every question from everyone who whined and cried about an opinion that he put on a piece that they didn't agree with. It is your choice not to buy items authenticated by him. But since evey other person on the planet respects his opinion, it might suit you to reconsider.

Also, I agree with the post in regards to Wagner and game used decal bats from him, he used LS bats before he signed his endorsement contract in 1905, as he was the first player to have his signature endorsed on a LS bat.