View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Default About soaking cards

Posted By: E, Daniel

Paul,
I think you are entirely incorrect to suppose some sort of unanamity amongst the collectors on this board, SGC and PSA.
I would have thought every thread, discussion, scan of cards inside holders from the grading companies, and admission of altering by auction houses, dealers and casual collectors had made that amazingly clear.
I think there are many who consider crease removal ok, amongst all of those groups, and others who would argue the ok'ness of every other form of card alteration.....and for some sort of validation let me supply this card.

It has been trimmed, color added, pencil mark added to the back, and perhaps other things I am unaware of. SGC was quite happy to slab it. You say Authentic only, I say the very designation has 'ethicalized' those activities that have befallen it and that the Authentic grade of the future will have much of the cache of any other grade, especially if the card presents well. So, trimming is OK, and so is re-coloring, and for many on this board so is crease removal.
Please, don't try and tell me there is a single voice on card alteration.
That would be a joke.

Kind regards

And by the way, I wouldn't be adverse to an 'anything goes' rule, as long as every card sold was disclosed for its procedures, and if slabbed received nothing more than the Authentic flip. For me, it would be much clearer.