View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay listing fee rip-off warning

Posted By: warshawlaw

When I input the auctions (as anyone who sells knows) ebay gives you a confirmation page with a price on it for the auction, right above where you click to accept. That price was $0.10 for the auctions. Now if the price is not $0.10 for the auctions, the software should not say the price is a dime. Had the accurate price been listed, I would not have put up the items on a timed basis. The software was set up to charge me the extra dime for the timed start; why did it not inform me that the item was not eligible for the promotion? Why did it list the item at the promotional rate when I accepted the terms?

I find it surprising that most of the negative reactions here are to the effect that I should have read the ad more closely so tough luck. That is an unwitting or intentional distortion of my point, which is that ebay's listing tool misstated the cost for the auctions, I accepted those figures, and I am now on the receiving end of a surprise bill. I do not recall if I read the ad before I did my listings or if I heard about it here. Suppose my spam blocker caught the ad so I'd not received the ten cent listing day alert? Or suppose I'd not read the ad? If I then listed something that day and was told a dime but later charged full price would your reactions be the same? If not, why not? Have you ever gone to the grocery store and been charged a different price than was on the tag by the can of chili? Pisses you off, doesn't it? Fought it, didn't you? Why is this different? The merchant told me a specific price, I agreed to that price, the merchant changed the charge later on. If a card dealer told you it was a dollar to mail a card and then emailed you days after you'd accepted the deal with a new price many times that of the initial price you accepted, you would be posting his name and ebay ID as the worst thing since BRSZ.

The purpose of my post was to alert people that ebay's listing tool was not rendering accurate information.