Thread: Wirephotos
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I have two photos that I'm pretty sure were professionally taken newsphotos, but they have no explanation as to what was going on....with some research you can uncover what is going on in a photo and a date.

I have yet to figure out what the exact date of these photos, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to get that since I have figured the year to be 1926 by the uniforms.

This website is invaluable to people like me who try and date photos by uniform styles
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/

The guys shaking hands are the managers - when I first bought the photos they were sold to me as New York Giants v Boston Braves photos, but I quickly determined the ballpark was Fenway so this was a possibility as the Braves did on occasion play at Fenway...the more I looked at the photos I believed the managers to be Dave Bancroft and Bill Carrigan, but uniform styles didn't match for any time period when both were managing - a little more research led me to 1926 when Lee Fohl was the Red Sox manager. So just by some research which is most of the fun of collecting these photos for me I determined the date, and the subjects of the photos. The game is obviously an exhibition game between the two Boston clubs in 1926....I'm sure a newspaper search would reveal the exact date, but I haven't done that yet.