View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 02:01 PM
George

That's a great item! There are quit a few 'game in progress' 19th century baseball prints although 3 stand out as having very similar styles.

- 1884 Philadelphia Athletics (Gilbert & Bacon)
- 1888 Boston Baseball Club (Hastings)
- 1889 Boston Baseball Club (G. Waldon Smith)

I can't speak for the 1884 print as I've only seen it in large format (non advertised piece), however the 1888 and 1889 prints come in at few different sizes as follows:

1888 Boston Baseball Club (Hastings)
16.75" x 12" (no advertisement link)
26" x 20" (“John A. Andrews & CO.’s, Boston Club Cigar”...I own this one link)
9.75"x7"("Boston Club Cigar" "John A. Andrews and Co." verso link)

1889 Boston Baseball Club (G. Waldon Smith)
24" x 20" (""The Boston Club Cigars and Tobacco" and "John A. Andrews & Co, Boston Club Cigar” link)
12" x 9" ("Sold exclusively by Jordan, Marsh & Co"...I have this exact print)

Interestingly enough, I can't find any 1889 lithographs that are large format without an advertisement unlike the 1888 print which seems to be the exception. There's clearly a connection with John A. Andrews advertising for both years however the 1889 print confirms that there were other advertisers namely Jordan, Marsh & Co.

The original trade card in question has been reproduced at least once...I know because I recently purchased one from an unknowing seller. If PSA is reluctant, you should confirm that it's due to not understanding why there are varying sizes and advertisers. To a previous point, perhaps there was some exclusivity with John A. Andrews although clearly this was opened up to other advertisers for the 1889 print. They could have promoted it in a number of ways in a storefront, a mailer, a newspaper supplement or some other form to get the word out.

The one other area that perplexes me is that the smaller format trade card is referenced as a 'woodcut'. There are much smarter people on this forum but I'd be very surprised if that's accurate vs some sort of lithograph. If this was a larger format newspaper sized print on thinner stock than I would expect it to be a woodcut but seems odd for smaller format, thicker stock.

Not sure if this helps but my data dump for now.