View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 08:29 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I’m not sure why PSA is reluctant to slab the trade card, despite their questions. Obviously, Hastings was the source of the art work. They probably sold some prints themselves and also sold the use of the art work in advertising. In this case John Andrews & Co. was their client. My guess is that Hastings printed the trade cards for Andrews for a fee, although I guess it is possible that they were printed by a third party. I would also not be surprised if other similar trade cards with different advertisers turn up. This is really no different that Felix Mendelssohn selling his photographs to be used by various businesses for advertising.
I don't really get PSA's reluctance either Jay. By the way, do you know if it was common for photographers or a third party to manufacture both lithographic prints and trade cards using the same image in the 19th Century? Are there other examples you know of? Finally, who on the net54 Board do you feel would be most knowledgeable regarding PSA's questions in case those individuals don't see this thread?