Thread: T209 What am I?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Default T209 What am I?

Posted By: Joann

Any particular significance to the origin being Wilmington NC (besides the obvious tie in with the minor leagues depicted)?

Was factory 12 near there, or the league offices, or anything like that? If there is some reason it was mailed from Wilmington NC it's remotely possible that it would help shed light on what they are. (BTW, were both mailed, and if not how did both wind up in the same place?)

Printer's pieces? Sales samples (like one of the possible explanations for the 69 card Herpolsheimer's set)? Was there a local photog studio that maybe took the proof pictures? An advertising center? Or maybe even the Contentnea HQ?

I know it's really grasping at straws, but if it's a 1-1 piece then maybe it was in Wilmington NC for a reason. I couldn't make out a postmark date but it looked pretty much period. If it were mailed many years later then the pieces could have travelled miles before even reaching Wil NC. But the closer the postmark date is to the issue date, the more likely that it was made in Wilmington, or at least stopped there for an important reason early in the process.

Joann