View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Garth Guibord

Default Tuffy Rhodes, Ichiro and the international market

I had a little time to kill yesterday and ended up watching part of a YouTube break that included a pack of 1991 Upper Deck. (That sentence seems pretty sad, now that I wrote it...)
Anyway, one card was the Gonzalez/Bagwell/Tuffy Rhodes card and it was noted what a great career Rhodes had in Japan. 464 home runs (13th all time for Nippon) and .940 OPS, all in just 13 years there (in this limited scope, those are basically the numbers that Miguel Cabrera has for his career at this point). That got me thinking a little...
I assume that American-produced baseball cards of Ichiro have the demand from Japan "baked into" the price, as I'm sure there must be collectors over there who buy them. But what about the non-Japanese players who have success in Nippon, like Tuffy Rhodes? Is there a bump in prices for their American-produced cards due to demand from abroad? The same could be asked for similar players in the Korean league, etc.
A cursory glance at eBay sales and at COMC would indicate no, at least for Tuffy, but I can't say I'd know what issues to look for that might be desirable in Japan.
Anybody else look into this with a little more depth and have any insight?

Last edited by AGuinness; 04-05-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Spelling error in title.. ugh