View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 10:57 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 cards RE-FRONTED (or re-backed)....scary stuff....read all about it

* * * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Circa 2000, a bunch of T206's were in circulation that were FAKES. These T206's were so professionally altered that they not only fooled collectors; but, also fooled the Grading
Company's (PSA, SGC, etc.)....who graded these fakes and gave some of them high numbers. Check-out this thread....Rebacked T206's on Ebay

Most in the hobby called these altered T206's...."re-backed". I choose to call them "re-fronted" DRUM's, red HINDU's, LENOX's, etc. A professional paper restorer told me how it
was easy to interchange the front / back combo of a T206. By first removing the front of a common T206 image from a card whose back was a rare one (DRUM, HINDU, LENOX,
UZIT, etc., etc.). Then, very precisely appliqueing the desired front onto the card with the rare back. He said there are adhering mediums that are undetectable in this process.

Fortunately, there were some of us collectors that instantly discerned that these T206's were fakes because their front / back combos were impossible.

Examples......

Matty (portrait) with a red HINDU back (PSA & SGC graded)

Red Cobb with DRUM back (PSA graded)

Green Cobb with a red HINDU back

Green Cobb with a CYCLE 350 back

Johnson (pitching) with BROAD LEAF 350 back

We were lucky......whoever did a beautiful job of altering these T206's was totally ignorant of the T206 Series structure and its associated backs.

There were many of these fakes in circulation, if you recall others than the 5 which I have listed here, please give us your inputs.

Thanks,

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 05-19-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Correct typo.