View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Default 1947 Bond Bread questions

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I don't think so Julie, because the one Robinson card that is shown in the 2005 "big book" shows him trotting home inside a VERY BIG stadium with an upper deck and bunting in the background. Montreal couldn't even get that big of a baseball following in the 21st century!!

Based on what BARRY provided about this being a very regional issue (Brooklyn) perhaps targeted at African-Americans, I think they probably got a few shots of Jackie in April or May and ran as quick as possible to get something out there to sell their bread while the iron was hot.

Also, now that I know this about the small area of distribution... I see why there are a lot of people who do not consider these to be Robinson's real rookie cards, since they could NOT have been bought and collected by kids in 99.99% of the Country.

I think I will still have to go with the 1948 Bowmans and the 1949 Leafs as the first "real" sets issued after WWII, since they were both distributed NATIONALLY (like their 1933-1934 Goudey and 1939-1941 Play Ball predecessors).