View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Default An eBay problem and call for advice from a quasi-neophyte

Hi all. I'm new to this board, but have been lurking a couple of weeks, absorbing the shared wisdom. I am currently in my 4th bout with the hobby since the early 70's, so often things change without my being aware of it. I have a question about a problem (my first real one) that I am having with an eBay purchase and wanted some advice (if there is a better forum, please move my post).

I recently bought, paid for and received a card that was described as a PSA-6 in the title and in the body of the listing. When I got the card, it turned out to be a PSA-6 (oc). I went back to the listing and sure enough, the picture shows the card I received, qualifier and all. Now I'll be the first to admit that I should have looked at the picture, but as the card wasn't very expensive or rare at all, I'm sure that I gave a quick glance at the listing just before it expired, read it was a PSA-6 and acted. Several mistakes, I know, but it doesn't end there - naturally, the seller doesn't take returns (I don't know if this is the norm with the "new eBay", but weren't most sales of graded cards listed as no returns a few years back?).

I contacted the seller and asked if he would accept a return in this circumstance (with me eating all shipping costs, both ways) since the (oc) qualifier wasn't mentioned anywhere in the listing, only shown in the picture. He said he didn't know what the problem was, that he talked to eBay and they said he didn't do anything wrong, that eBay said I wouldn't ultimately be able to leave negative feedback and that in spite of the fact that he generally feels the customer is right, not in this case, so no return.

Isn't this similar to listing a graded reprint without ever mentioning that it is a reprint and just relying on the fact that the holder says "reprint?" Doesn't Ebay's rule about not putting conflicting information in a listing prevent this?

Is this worth pursuing, or does the fact that the picture showed it to be a PSA-6 (oc) mean I'm stuck. It's really not that much money that I'm out, but I feel like I've been had. I've never had a problem on eBay before and now this week, I get hit with this as well as a fake 1940 Play Ball.