View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Phil Garry

Since so many are interested in my e-bay bidding history and, more specifically, bid retraction history, let me explain what's going on so that everyone can rest assured that there is no profit motive or "secret strategy" behind it.

First of all, I can assure everyone that I have never retracted a bid on a baseball memorabilia item as these are the primary focus of my collecting interests and many times, significant sums of money are involved. Also, I do not take part in shilling or helping other sellers alter auction results and/or prices.

As a side little hobby, some of you may know that I have started dabbling in ice cream collectibles, which many times sell for a $1,00, $5,00, $10.00, etc. and often times, the cost of shipping exceeds the item price. In order to keep this facet of my collecting interest cost effective, I usually try to buy multiple e-bay items from the same seller to minimize the effect on shipping charges. While doing this, many times I lose out on the one or two items that were my main interest and decide that I would rather pass on the remaining items. These situations account for all of my bid retractions except for a couple of times where I entered wrong amounts and go back and make the corrections immediately.

My practice is probably not the best way of handling the scenario and, in the future, I might just use the "watched items" feature more extensively when interested in multiple items from the same seller.