View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 02:10 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Some very good posts in the last few weeks about the correlation between a lousy stock market and the prices realized for vintage cards. Wonder if anyone has seen any concrete examples in the auctions that have wrapped up in the last few weeks where high end card seem to have dipped since Q4 2015. The Mantles would obviously be obvious candidates as the proverbial canary in the coal mine. I haven't really seen it but I am not a Mantle collector.

In some respects, a bearish equity environment should increase the relative attractiveness of high end cards and other high end collectables i.e. an alternative investment where an investor may perceive a better opportunity for capital growth or simply to preserve capital value and as a hedge against inflation or as part of a more balanced portfolio if their current investments are focused on only one asset class (equity or property).

I appreciate that doesn't happen in reality i.e. a "feel good" factor of wealth typically results in more discretionary spending. Here in the UK, such trends are more generally related to house prices than the stock market. The UK market for soccer memorabilia (by some distance, the most collected sport here) suffered significantly post the 2008 downturn. Most mid-range items would still be at prices less than a decade ago.