View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
A big thing is that 'AAA' eBay seller didn't say they were cut out of books or magazines, and would, in so many words, imply that they were trading cards. They were sold deceptively. I've seen cut out woodcuts in Becket holders, but the difference is they were clearly labeled as cut outs . . . The collectability is a second issues

Cutting out a 1880s Harper's woodcut is an interesting issue. The woodcut is a finished print-- that was placed amongst the text. The woodcut block used to make that print was a block of wood in an of itself that was placed within the typeset. If you cut out the woodcut, you are cutting out the whole woodcut. Duly note that I prefer the whole page to a cutout woodcut-- if due to aesthetics more than ethics. I think the entire newspaper page looks neatest.
Going back on encapsulated woodcuts. Personally, I prefer the whole issue(although harder to display, unless it's a cover), or at the very least the whole page. In both cases the items are usually to large to encapsulate. I'm not against the cutout woodcuts, but much like you, I prefer the aesthetics of the item as a whole..