View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Default Joe Jackson Barnstorming Photo

Posted By: Chris Counts

I've been following this subject for the past two days and it is fascinating. On a whim, I called the Zanesville Press Recorder and talked to an editor. I related to him the suggestions on this board that someone research the 1923 Zanesville box scores and game stories. He was aware of the controversy, but had only seen Shoeless Joe's photo, which evidentally was cropped from the team photo and e-mailed to him. He said mine was the second call today he received about Shoeless Joe. I gave him the web address of this forum, so hopefully he'll at least take a look. By the way, he related another curious fact about the Zanesville ball club — Whitey Wietelmann was a big star for the team in the mid 20s. Whitey later was a middle infielder for the Braves (Bees?) in the mid-40s, but is best known as a longtime San Diego Padre player and coach, both in the PCL (player and coach) and majors (coach). He was so revered in San Diego that he earned the nickname "Mr. San Diego Baseball ... I think there is even a Mother's Cookies card of Whitey.