View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Did anyone hear Bud Selig read off the Deacon White and Hank O'Day plaques? No one clued him in on the fact PL stood for Player's League, not Pacific League. At least he gave those two the ole college effort, for the National Association teams on White's plaque, he paused on the first, then skipped over them.
I was very surprised at the lack of knowledge on Selig's part. He seemed to struggle with anything that differed from modern day NL & AL teams. He really came across as clueless to those that follow baseball history. If you are going to honor the players of years past, you should at least understand what teams and leagues they played. I would give Selig a flunking grade for his performance today. Even if he is devoting 100% of his time in the past several months to PEDs, a poor job today.

On the other hand, I thought all three families did a good job on behalf of the new inductees.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers