View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 07:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default WirePhotos & BB cards....Perfect together

This Wire Photo features a play from Game 1 of the 1953 World Series.

Unlike most BB players, Billy Martin rarely appeared at signing sessions (circa 1980's). And this was certainly evident the day I got Billy to sign this photo.
It was at the December 1982 BB card show in Atlantic City. My table was located near where Billy was signing. I was amazed at the constant long lines of
autograph seekers lined up to get Billy's signature. This show featured Willie, Mickey, the Duke, Whitey Ford, Mohammed Ali and many more sports stars.
But, none of these celebrities had people lining up to get their autographs as much as Billy did that day. After several hours, Billy's line finally diminished.
So, I got in line for Billy's autograph. I noticed he rarely looked up at anyone, and did not talk much. Some one observed.... "perhaps he was hung over".

When I showed him this photo, he looked at me and asked..."where did you find it ?" I replied..."I collect wirephotos of memorable events from my youth.
And, in that 1953 World Series, you single-handedly ** beat the Dodgers, you were amazing". He signed my photo, and responded with..... "Yes, I guess
I really did. Thanks buddy, you made my day".

** Billy's 1953 World Series stats (6 games)….
BA = .500
Hits = 12
HRs = 2
RBI = 8
SLG = .958

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 02-22-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.