View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Scott Levy

Default My experience

I’ll limit my comments to the glorious period of time from the early 1980s to the mid 1990s. During that time my dad and I had the amazing experience of buying several complete or near complete T206 sets and many thousands of other T206 cards in raw lots ranging from a few dozen to several hundred. In all, we’ve probably owned at least 5k - maybe even close to 10k T206s at some point - although never at the same time. It sounds impossible now, but at one point average cards cost $1 and even Cobb was under $50.

During those earlier years, many folks didn’t know much or care much about the backs - especially when you purchased a set or a large lot of cards.

I can say that Dad or I never found a raw Cobb/Cobb, Brown Lenox, BL460 or drum. While this is a small sample, it’s interesting to note the tougher backs that we’ve found as.
1 brown old mill (probably shouldn’t count this as I saw the image before I bought the lot)
2 Red Hindu
3 Uzits (one was on a Cobb batting!!)
And at least 3 of all other back varieties (although Black Lenox, BL350, P42 and Carolina Brights were all probably on “close to 5” end of things).

I’m not suggesting from my small sample that we should re-rank rarity, however, it is interesting that I never came across drum or BL460 - and I very rarely even saw them in the raw collections that we didn’t get a chance to buy (in fact, I NEVER saw a BL460 in a raw collection - except for one time, where the seller explicitly knew it was there and made sure to say as much.

Last edited by scottglevy; 09-14-2018 at 02:15 PM.