View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default Rare Cards of Sudanese Players

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Invariably these types of discussions devolve into claims of moral outrage and implied superiority, often sprinkled with notions of "us against them", persecution and self-righteousness. This one is no different.

Please go back and read this thread through. A rather unfunny attempt at parody was posted. More than a day and a half goes by and JoAnn remarks that it appears to be a parody of people who collect cards of Jewish players. More than 24 hours after the intial post, Josh "thinks" she may be onto something, and that the remark might be anti-semetic. No outrage, just basically puzzlement. Explanations are offered by others, but the ball has begun rolling and the poster is demanded to appear and explain himself. A vigil is kept--so many hours have passed and no response, never mind that nobody apeared bothered about the damn thing for two days. Break out the tar and feathers. Those who find it overblown are reminded of how we need to be more sensitive, and, to the extent we disagree with a certain point of view, we are told our opinions are devoid of intelligent thought. All of this on a flippin baseball card forum!!!! What happened to the "Show me your e92 Nadja's" or other threads that unite, not divide us here?

I misspoke when I said I agreed "completely" with Gil, since I loathe speaking in absolutes or overbroad generalities, and since I cannot presume to know precisley what he meant or intended. I do not think it is OK to hate someone based on skin color, etc., in some moral or objectified sense. I do agree with Gil that such hatred is not morally right and is counterproductive--read the entire post, knee-jerks. It also may not be acted upon or taught or others, as, again, such would be morally wrong and counterproductive.

It is OK, in my view, to have thoughts of hatred for certain classes of people without feeling the need to conclude that you are a hopeless loser who needs to be straightened out by the enlightened and usually self-proclaimed thought police. It is a recognition of one's flaws, in my view, and does not mean that one should act upon it, promote it and try not to change. Right now, I have a serious dislike of certain middle easterners. I know it is wrong and irrational, I would never espouse or act upon it and would come to their defense if I saw them (or anyone else) being treated unjustly. I am not proud of my feelings nor do I fully understand them, but I know I am a decent person who does not need to be lectured. I am working on it, and that's OK.

I regret if my opinions in this thread offend anyone, but I will only say that once. I am what I am, I believe what I believe, and I'm moving forward, not backward.