View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Default Rare Cards of Sudanese Players

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

I tend to think the original post probably was intended to be a light-hearted parody and was not anti-Semitic. That said, I can understand why people might question whether it was more than that, and the original author should explain himself. What disturbs me more than the original post are the posters who are mocking those who have dared to question the possibility that the remark was anti-Semitic (the "Jewish community," as if it were some monolithic entity). You bet your anatomy some Jewish people are hyper-vigilant, and if anyone thinks anti-Semitism is just some ancient phenomenon, think again. I have no doubt I will be ridiculed for this post and I really don't care. This is reminiscent of the thread where someone referred to Dmitri Young as "boy"; the poster did not mean it in a rascist way but when I pointed out that it could be misinterpreted because of its connotations, I got body slammed by all the cool people who thought I was overreacting. So all you hip, cool, what-me-worry, above the fray folks, be my guest. (Edited for typos)