View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Default What would you buy for $100?

Posted By: Scott

regarding the rising cost of pre-war cards. Yes, it would be hard to buy these cards if you're looking for high grade slabbed beauties but there is plenty to be had for the "regular guy" (or gal). I've purchased about 60 cards in the last year, mostly pre-war, almost nothing higher than SGC 40 (but nothing that looks like crap either) and have not spent more than $100 on any of them except for my '06 Hammon postcard and my Walsh T3 (I'm a White Sox collector). Among those cards: Duffy T206; Walsh National Game card; Faber/Schalk/Collins exhibits; Walsh on T201 and T202 cards; Lyons goudey; Simmons Wheaties; Scott Cracker Jack; Hooper W575; Collins W515--all told, some 40 different types. Now I know that I'm not going after the Matty's, Cobb's and Tinker's (and the White Sox don't seem to command a premium and are not blessed with the great names of the game) but I've seen an awful lot (mostly on eBay) that I think most collectors would appreciate. Be patient, don't get discouraged, and don't get caught up in the high end of the hobby unless you've got a nice bankroll to invest.