View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 04:28 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Almost all the big names are taken, but there are still some fringe names out there from the 1980's and 90's. I think Leaf was revived recently (was previously a graveyard trademark).

T206 refers to the set name that was used in the American Card Catalog. The original company never referred to the cards that way. I don't think the cards ever had an actual name, other than the tobacco brands on the backs.

I suppose if you wanted to be historically precise, you would revive The American Tobacco Company or The American Lithographic Company. Both trademarks are dead.
Brian Grey only acquired rights for the name Leaf, all images and design from the 80s-90s incarnation would be part of the acquisition of the donruss, pinnacle, and playoff properties by Panini. Gray's ability to use even passing reference to earlier properties has already been challenged in court. In 2013 he was sued for the Valiant inserts as they were too close to the prior Crusade inserts. The lawsuit was dropped after a settlement in which he dropped a claim to the rights for "Leaf Limited" as it was a little too close to the Panini Limited name for their liking.

As to t206, I understand the history quite clearly but as Topps issued several sets and inserts using the t206 name as the title during the last 10-12 years I am assuming they at least tried to lock it down to avoid competition.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.