View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Art Shamsky is correct, although at least two other people knew it.

On August 12, 1966 the Pirates led the Reds 7-6 when Shamsky pinch hit in the bottom of the 8th inning. He hit a two-run homer and stayed in the game, which went into extra innings.

In the bottom of the 10th trailing 9-8, he hit a solo homer to tie the game.

In the bottom of the 11th, with the Pirates leading 11-9, he hit a two-run homer, his third straight, to tie it again at 11-11. The Pirates scored three runs in the top of 13th and won 14-11.

And what I discovered tonight is two days later Shamsky pinch hit yet another home run, his fourth straight.

Three homer games have probably occurred well over a hundred times in baseball history, but Shamsky's achievement is unique among them.
He batted in consecutive innings with no runs scoring in between and only one runner on base the second time up? That must not happen too often.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.