View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Graig Kreindler

Default The November 2014 raffle painting!

Hey all,

I figured I'd start a new thread for the raffle painting this time around, this way the content doesn't get missed if sometime down the line people try to search it out. Or something.

So, the image that Eric has chosen, for those of you who haven't seen it:

The image finds our hero Babe in the dugout at Yankee Stadium before the first game of the 1932 World Series (the same World Series in which he supposedly called his shot). I would imagine that it was taken at some point before batting practice or something like that, mainly because the dugout seems a bit empty, as well as the seats directly behind the dugout. At the same time, the shadows on Ruth seem to indicate that the time is probably around 12:00, and if I remember correctly from my research, the actual game probably wouldn't have started any time before 1:00.

I think it'll make for a really nice painting, as the light seems to be bright and sharp. Also, there are some really interesting diagonals happening throughout the photo, especially the lines of the seats, dugout roof, and the patriotic tarp as they all relate to Ruth's gesture. Plus, there's also some interesting things happening in the dugout, both with some of warm glow of light bouncing off of the lacquered wood, and also with the fellow sitting down behind Babe (especially with that leg peering out of the shadows).

So, yesterday I made it to my art store and picked up stretcher bars. I assembled them as soon as I got home:

Then, the linen was stretched:

And finally, primed:

I followed the same procedures that I normally do, which I outlined months back with John's Hank Aaron painting. If anyone wants to read about why and how I made those particular choices, it's all mentioned in pst #43 of this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=188067&page=5

Anywho, I'm hoping that I can get the drawing taken care of at some point after the holiday weekend, and then finally get some paint to the canvas!

As usual, if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask away!

Thanks for reading.

Graig