View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 09:42 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
David, a 1968 Yaz card in a PSA 5 holder doesn't exactly inspire the financial need to keep it in a slab as opposed to a Boston Garter as Leon mentioned. I'm not a fan of PSA but I recognize the value it adds to high end cards (and even some not so high end). At the end of the day I'm a fan of more money compared to less money. Who isn't?
Jeff, it wasn't a 1968 Yaz card in a PSA 5 holder, but I'll play along with you. Even if it were, why would one grade a 1968 Yaz in Ex condition? I don't have the answer, but it happens all the time. You say grading adds value, so where is the added value in this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Topps-...kAAOSwpvRcgYu9

Couldn't I buy the same card raw in the same condition for about the same price? I know you just used a random card as an example, but I see this quite often on eBay where someone had a card graded that really didn't add any value at all and, in some cases, it actually decreases the value by having it graded.

Of course I'm a fan of more money. But my point is that it's only perceived value to the collector. If one is buying raw cards to have graded and re-selling them for several times what they paid, then great for them. I really think that's awesome! My comments are really for the collectors (or investors) putting a lot of faith in perceived value.