View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default Earliest Memory Of Baseball

Posted By: Silver King

My earliest "significant" memory was 1976 and I was 10 years old. I went to the Oakland A's game and in the 9th inning Willie McCovey stepped up to the plate and hit a foul ball straight back behind home plate. I was still wearing my glove and reached up and caught the ball on a line drive. The crowd erupted in cheers and I got my first standing ovation. After the game we stood around waiting for autographs and Willie McCovey came out and got in his car. When I asked for his autograph he told me he didn't sign autographs when they lost the game, I told him I caught his foul ball and then he was more than happy to sign it for me. McCovey only played 11 games for the A's and the American league so it's kind of cool that I have an American League ball with his autograph on it. McCovey has since been inducted into the Hall of Fame and I feel that I have a great piece of memorabilia to show for it. I hope you catch a ball yourself some day. I have been to hundreds of games since that day and have yet to catch another ball.