View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 10:38 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

"Satchel Paige could have been the greatest pitcher in major league history, if he'd been given the chance. Don't look back, America, something might be gaining on you."

I first read the book when it came out--my uncle got it for me--and I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that it got me addicted to classic Topps and Bowman cards.

Another great seminal baseball card book is The Complete Book of Baseball Cards: For the Collector, Flipper and Fan [1975; Steve Clark]. It gives a great snapshot overview of the hobby as it was in 1974-1975 including a visit to the Burdick Collection, an interview with Sy Berger, visits to card shows, info on the various publications, and even a section with data on rare cards. Some of the information is wrong, but was thought to be right back then, and of course the prices will make you cry, but it is a great time capsule of what it was like to collect just as card collecting was reaching critical mass.

If you are at all into shiny stuff, you must read Card Sharks [1995; Pete Williams]. All the dirt--there is plenty--on Upper Deck and the development of the hobby from a bunch of dweebs meeting in church basements to the corporate big money.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...