View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default Bonds exposed: Shadows details superstar slugger's steroid use

Posted By: davidcycleback

Jay, I don't think players should take steroids. I also do not think players should have implanted muscles, I don't think pitchers should use the spit ball, I think it's unfair for park owners to alters the fences or wind machine to favor their players or I'm against players cheating at cards in the clubhouse.

And, while you might consider this hyppocratical, I think it's okay for a baseball player to wear contacts or take an allowable antihistamine if he has bad hayfever.

Is it true that there is better surgery techniques (Tommy John, achilles tendon, etc) today than in Babe Ruth's day? Yes, and that is a reasonable histroical point to bring up about today's players having certain advantages. Does acknowlinging this mean one should be for the use of steroids or against a player going to John Hopkins after he tore up his knee? I don't see that.

If your point is that nothing is or ever has been completely fair and players and managers cheated in 1920, I agree. If your point is nothing is or ever has been completey fair and players and magagers cheated in 1920 thus I should be for the use of steroids, you'll have to explain that argument to me.

My dad told me when I was a kid that life isn't fair, some people are born with more advantages than others (family wealth, iq, moral support) and you should never cheat on a test. Some may see inconsistancy in his advice ('Others have more advantages so you SHOULD cheat on a test'), but I don't.