View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Greg, I got your point, but in the first place, I don't even agree that Santo is just a hair below Schmidt. I just don't think measuring new guys against existing members always works - I've stated this as best I can (using the Laboy example). The problem is that as soon as you let one sub-HOF-caliber player in, guys who want their sub-HOF-caliber guy to be added will have an obvious argument, and that's what we see happening consistently. Yes, Santo fielded better than some of the guys who are in there, and yes, he batted better than some of them. Was he great? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. I won't compare it to that of the baseball writers, as I disagree with them quite often.

Some of you have Santo ranked right in the middle of existing HOF 3rd basemen, and since that's how you feel, I completely understand how you would like him in the hall. Personally, I'd rather take a few out than add more less-than-great players.
Sorry Scott -- I thought you were referring to the Schmidt - Santo comparison. I totally agree that's it's a terrible idea to say that anyone comparable to the lowest caliber HOFers also belongs in.

I've always been a big Oliva fan -- he was such a great hitter, but had such terrible knees.

Greg