View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
No, I know - I am the one saying it But it is the logic that is frequently used here, especially by Minnesota Twins fans. It's really amazing how many Twins are almost HOF caliber.

You might be right about Santo being the best 3rd baseman during the '60s. We didn't have a lot to chose from, though, and I wouldn't consider that enough of a criteria to vote him in.

But your logic about having only nine in the HOF is tough for me to follow. The only way that holds up is if the first nine at their positions are never surpassed. Besides, if memory serves me, I don't think the initial HOF class was nine different positions, but I might be wrong (too lazy to look it up). Also, if you think nine is a good total number for the HOF, that's certainly your right - I wouldn't be against giving it a numerical limit, and then replacing people every now and then. Kind of like dropping off the top twenty list in total home runs - no disgrace in that.

The HOF is always going to a source of conflict, as everyone has their own ideas about what the quality level should be, and also longevity requirements. I'm one of those who thinks Koufax is a no-brainer by anyone's standards, but I also think Maris should be in, simply because of what he meant to the game. By the same token, I couldn't argue against Curt Flood (but I would anyway). And I despise the 'longevity' argument that got Niekro and Sutton in.

Fun discussions, in any event.

Scott <=== average for so long that he should be considered great

Scott -- you missed my point about only having nine players in the Hall (or maybe I just didn't make the point well). In no way do I think there should only be nine players (one from each position) in the Hall. I was using that statement to counter what you said to another poster about how we shouldn't put Santo in just because he's a hair below Mike Schmidt (arguably the greatest third baseman). If you follow that logic, only the best player at each position could be in the Hall.

Strongly agree with you Scott on Koufax and the disdain for the longevity factor (athough Sutton was actually a very good pitcher). I love Maris, and he should be considered the true single season HR champ, but he just doesn't rise to Hall of Fame standards.
Agreed that this is probably the most entertaining baseball topic to discuss, especially in the off season.

Greg