View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 08:15 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Little league ball signed by Winfield, Ripken Jr, Dale Murphy, Eckresley, Jack McKeon and Bobby Brown. But there is a story behind the ball.

Summer of 1988 we are in Indiana visiting my fathers side of the family and I am 11 years old . All Star Game is in Cincinnati which is about an hour away. My mother sees in the paper that Dave Winfield is doing a book signing in Cincinnati to promote his book. Of course with me being a Yankee fan we take a trip to see him. So we are looking for the bookstore and my dad turns down the wrong street, and we see a huge crowd of people outside of a hotel. In the middle is Strawberry signing autographs. My dad stops the car, and my uncle grabs me and we jump out. The only thing in the car we had to sign was a beat up little league ball I had with my gloves. He grabs that and tries to get Darryl to sign it with no luck. Well then a few other players come out, and was able to get them. My mom is yelling at my dad that we have to go to the book signing or the line for Winfield will be around the corner. My dad says its Cincinnati they hate the Yankees. We finally go to the book store and there is only 3 people ahead of us. The sweet spot on the ball was still open for some reason and Dave signed the ball for me there. And Have been hooked on collecting ever since.

image.jpg

Last edited by parker1b2; 01-23-2016 at 08:16 AM.