View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

Teds idea of how it could have happened is quite close to the idea I put out there on the original thread. It makes more sense because of timeline, there being Piedmonts and Old Mills printed in the same series.

It could have been as Ted says a press not cleaned down from blue ink when changing over to the black for Old Mill, OR a scenario like mine where some black or blue is borrowed to stretch the supply of ink on the press to the end of the day.
I think either is possible from what I've seen of typical print shops.
Mixing Piedmont blue with some black would get you close to Polar Bear blue, which itself varies from a dark blue to very dark blue.

All inks beyond a few basic colors were mixed by hand in a process similar to getting custom paint at a paint store before the computer mixing machines.

The only change I'd make would be so include the extra colors since many weren't 6 color, but more like 8-9 color. One thing that puzzles me is the black and brown being printed early. Obviously we have a few with yellow and brown so it's possible. But it sure isn't a best or typical practice. Black usually goes on last, and any other colors are typically applied lightest to darkest.

Steve B