View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 02:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the compliment. Great D&M Athletics piece also, I was going to inquire about the Giants piece, but by the time I got around to it, you had already sold or traded it.

As for the 1968 Topps Plaks, I believe they were distributed in very small quantities in NY (could be wrong though). They were a test issue and were extremely tough to come by. A small find was discovered I think in 2009 by Mile High in PA and some have since come to market. When they first started selling them off, I believe a full set went for over $60,000+. I think the prices have come down some but they still bring a lot of $$$ at auction.

If it weren't for that find, I doubt I would have one. As I mentioned earlier, 707 sportscards had one about fifteen years ago ($900 for a single Clemente), but I was in dental school at the time and couldn't justify it then (not that I can now either). But when the find happened, I figured it was now or never.

Mike
Mike:

That's a great story regarding the "now or never" of the Clemente Plaque. It's always best to strike when you can on these ultra-rare pieces. I've found there is usually much more remorse on the great/unique things you bypass than on the things you actually go after. And given the history of this Plaque Trio, I am positive that this one fits that category. Many congrats!