View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 01:48 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I agree that it's helpful - especially to those who haven't acquired the skills to differentiate between different types of photos. I wasn't participating in forums when this system originated, but David and I discussed it regularly. I personally did not like the idea of a grading company being involved with photographs - to me, that would lead to slabbing, which would encourage alteration and more trimming.

I was also kind of stunned when the fox was led into the henhouse, but I guess that henhouse already had a few foxes in it.
Scott,

Have you seen a lot of intentional trimming of photos prior to being slabbed? I'm not questioning your observation, just really wondering what the point would be since, to my knowledge, PSA does not actually grade the photo being slabbed but rather deems it "authentic" or not and assigns a Type, neither of which would be affected (or improved) by trimming. I could see this being a concern once number grades are being assigned to photos (not doubt it's coming sooner or later), but until then, I would think that most of the photo-chopping was done by editors over the years cropping photos for publication. Am I being naive in thinking that?

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 03-15-2012 at 02:21 PM.