View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
In a previous thread on T205's, Andrew (T205 GB) posted his theory regarding the "400 DESIGNS" printed on the backs of the T205's......

"I have had a theory that the T80 and T42 series were part of the "T205's" or Gold Boarder's thus adding to the 400 designs. That would add 150 more designs to the 220+
cards in the t205 set. That would take the total to 370 without considering any variations possible for these sets that are unknown. Back designs are similar also, especially
the Sweet Caporal backs. Knowing that Mecca produced the T202 cards using the T205 designs as end panels in 1912 makes it possibly plausible since the T80 and 42's are
found with Mecca backs also and were produced just after. Kinda like the 1880's A&G Series cards."

This sounds like quite a plausible explanation for the "400 DESIGNS" to me.

TED Z
Ted,

Definitely sounds plausible, but have reservations about that, as the T80s weren't distributed with the same tobacco companies that had the T205s. I would think that if they were going to be part, they would have been available with the same advertisement as their counterpart. Especially if they were to be included with the 400 design count.

I'm a believer that there was supposed to be additional cards added during a later run. Nothing to prove that, just my opinion.

r/
Frank