View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Default Joe Jackson Barnstorming Photo

Posted By: Anonymous

In my expert opinion, this photo does not contain Joe Jackson, nor Lefty Williams. While I will agree there are some similarities in the two men, there are more differences in the two that lead me to my conclusion that this IS NOT Joe Jackson. Yes, Jackson played a few games in Ohio in 1923, but a very few...as he was in Bastrop, LA for the first part of their baseball season and then it was on to Americus, GA and to Waycross, GA. The key to proving this IS or IS NOT Joe Jackson lies with someone in Zanesville, OH. Someone there needs to go to the library and read the newspaper accounts of the day for the year 1923 (probably the Spring months of that year or after September of that year...because we know where he was in May, June, July, most of August and early September). I would need some sort of proof (newspaper accounts) before I would put my blessing on this being Joe Jackson. It is hard for me to believe someone paid that kind of money without hard proof.

It is my hope that someone here can prove me wrong. I would be happy to apologize to everyone here if I get the hard proof I'm looking for....as I am trying to track down where Jackson was before Bastrop, LA.......I know he played a few games in Ohio...as I said before....but it was a very few games...best I can tell (by timeline analysis).

And by the way....I don't see Wahoo Sam nor Hap in this photo either..........

Mike Nola
Official Historian
The Shoeless Joe Jackson Virtual Hall of Fame Web Site
http://www.blackbetsy.com/
Home of the Joe Jackson model Louisville Slugger baseball bat offer.
The voice said "Build it and they will come".........and they have!!!!!