View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 12:55 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I read about half of this article scholarly essay and the author does make some interesting points. However, he feels that the 2020 boom would have happened, even if the pandemic hadn't occurred, and I don't agree with that at all. And just like how he doesn't believe the role the pandemic played in bringing the prices up to astronomical levels, he also doesn't believe that mass vaccinations and restrictions being lifted played a role in the big decline that we saw earlier this year. And finally, he makes no mention of Gary Vaynerchuk. Does he fail to realize the kind of impact this man had on card prices? Think about it: he has 2.6 million followers on his Twitter account, and there are also millions more followers who are non-subscribers. Now, this guy is considered an "investment guru" and what do you think happened when he started posting pictures of himself with basketball, wrestling and soccer cards? Prices went insane. There was one member on this forum who would get ripped to bits by everybody whenever he shared pictures of his cheap wrestling cards here - does anybody remember that? Well, when somebody offered me $500 USD for my Hulk Hogan, I thought that person was insane, and of course I did the deal. Today, this same card is selling for thousands. And at the same time, when Gary stopped promoting cards to his millions of followers and moved on to NFTs, then what happened? Card prices dropped while NFTs went nuts.