View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 AM

Default JimStinson

Great item !!! No autograph of Grant has ever surfaced ANYWHERE , to the best of my knowledge he is the ONLY Baseball Hall of Fame member who's autograph is not known to exist.

I tried to figure out why and my research indicated he could indeed read and write , at least according to the census records. Which would establish the fact he was literate. But what became confusing is a few things , his father died or was killed shortly after his birth and his name was changed. It seems although not sure that he alternated between names during his life.

Even more confusing is in archival records he lists his "race" (yes that was a question they asked in the census records) at various times in his life as Mulatto , Negro and even White. So while there are autographs that are known to exist of Hall of Famers like Mendez & Torriente , just not in the public domain. Nothing at all exists as of this writing on Grant making his autograph probably the most rare of any member of the Baseball Hall of Fame. So Nice Snag ! And if I were you I'd keep looking where ever you found the book.

Vintage autographs Offered weekly sign up for my e-mail updates here
http://stinsonsports.com/newsletter/