View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 09:45 AM
Matt G

Default April Pick Ups

Although these are not baseball cards, these are now some of my most cherished cards I own thanks to a fellow N54'er.

Have been wanting to obtain a "Chariots of Fire" playing day card from the main characters from the movie- Harold Abrahams, Eric Liddell, Lord Burghley (Lord Lindsay in the movie), and E.A. Montague (Known as Aubrey in movie)

1) Picked up a nice graded Burghley for my birthday. Easy enough

2) Picked up an Abrahams 1929 Godfrey Philips raw along with a Charley Paddock from a fellow board member last year. Sent off to SGC. Awesome.

3) I thought my search for Montague was impossible, so I picked up a replicated postcard of him Steeplechasing in the background in the 1924 Olympics. But lo and behold, I then discovered he had a card in the 1922 Bunsen Confectionery set.

I found a dealer in England who was willing to part with one. Boom! I thought my quest was nearly complete...

4) The Liddell was another quest I thought to be impossible, as TCDB showing nothing but post playing day cards for Liddell. Makes sense since Liddell had a short career running and focused on his ministry work in China after.

But then thanks to some late night digging on Anson's PreWar card's site... I found the 1924 Gallaher set that included an Abrahams, Liddell, and Henry Stallard (another obscure sidequest I have yet to embark on).

As luck would have it, Liddell was actually mispelled as "Liddle", which is why I never found it on TCDB. Lets go!!!

The hard part now was actually finding a copy. Liddle was not seen on any website, outside an overpriced graded copy of the Abrahams.

Just for fun I threw a shot out in the dark on net54... As luck would have it, a fellow n54 member had several Gallaher cards including the Liddle and Abrahams. So naturally I got both.

So there you have it, the "Chariots of Fire" playing days card for each member complete. Here are pictures of the last 3 difficult cards I had to track down. They will head to SGC sometime early next year.

Over the moon about these!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liddle Montague Abrahams.jpg (163.3 KB, 934 views)

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36