View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 04:04 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
I think I have the answer: it's the Trench-Sportservice partnership. By the 1940s, Trench was making some of the best pennants on the market. Their artwork was tops; as were their production methods. All they needed was a marketplace to sell their merch in.

The Tigers were one of the first teams to really give them that. That's because the Tigers were the first team to partner with Sportservice. Once Navin Field's ballpark concession stands were run by Sportservice in the 1930s, that opened the door for Trench's pennants. Trench seems to have capitalized on things by the early 1940s, making some really cutting edge pennants for their exclusive use.

If you look at 1940s Tigers pennants, I suspect many were made by Trench. Whereas other Trench pennants from this era utilized generic ballpark designs, their Tiger ones featured custom renderings of Briggs Stadium. Several different ones, in fact.

By the 1950s Trench was making stadium pennants for other teams; but, early on, not so much. The Tigers enjoyed early access to Trench pennants via Sportservice; and that connection seems to have generated some really special pennants for them and them alone.

I think that best explains why Tiger fans have it so good when it comes to terrific pennant designs.
Domer... this is AWESOME stuff! Thank you!