View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 03:30 PM

Default New member introduction

I got back into collecting baseball cards a dozen years ago at the turn of the millennium. Like many, I returned after a long hiatus between my mid-teens (in the early 1970s – that should give you an idea about my age) and that fateful day I walked into a local mall show in late December 1999. I’ve been re-hooked on the hobby ever since. I started collecting NrMT or better Topps HOFers between 1955-1975, the cards of my youth. In 2005, I began slabbing my collection with PSA. Initially I was resistant because I couldn’t get past not being able to hold the actual cardboard in my hands ever again. Nevertheless, the excitement of submitting my cards and waiting for the grades to pop, the liquidity, added value and ease of tracking prices afforded by grading, and the competition and camaraderie provided by the Registry all won me over to “the dark side.” At the end of 2010, I decided to expand my collecting into Pre-War and that brought me to Net54 to educate myself on this segment of the hobby. I’m still focusing on HOFers and I try to collect at the highest grade I can afford while maximizing eye-appeal (to me that usually means centering). Below, I’ve included scans of some of the cards I purchased over the past year (and I maintain a website displaying my collection). Looking forward to participating on this MB!